PDA

View Full Version : Astra G Won't Start....Any help??

ThePimp
20-12-2008, 05:36 PM
As above, 1.7 dti Izuzu astra won't start....

The lights come on in dash,car wont turn over, tried jump leads and nothin'.
Strange thing is even when connected to a powerful battery and on ignition when you turn on the lights the dash goes dark and no lights come on...

I've disconnected the battery for now to try reset the ecu see if it'll sort itself...

It's a strange one???? Any help much appreciated :dribble2:

rrv8
20-12-2008, 06:52 PM
Bad earth or poor connection from the battery

Dod
20-12-2008, 07:05 PM
Agreed, either that or the leads to the starter.

What happens when you go to turn the car over? Do the Dash lights dim, it there a click or anything?

Also, is there an aftermarket Alarm or Imobiliser?

Atlantean
20-12-2008, 07:14 PM
Have I got this correct? Battery with full charge connected. However it won't illuminate the head lights when the ignition is in the on position without the engine running!

When you try to crank the engine is there any life from the starter motor?

ThePimp
20-12-2008, 07:34 PM
Pete, you've got it right, no click from ignition,no turning over......it is a strange one

EDIT No aftermarket alarm or immobiliser

Atlantean
20-12-2008, 07:38 PM
As has been said it sounds like an earth strap issue.

Did you notice anything unusual before this happened? Have you taken a volt meter to the battery? what V did you get?

Dod
20-12-2008, 07:39 PM
Ok, then its an earth problem. IIRC even if the car has not got the key chip present the car will still turn over. Have you tried bump starting it, as in a push or tow?

ThePimp
20-12-2008, 10:34 PM
Where is the earth point on in the engine bay.....haynes doesnt have it

Dod
20-12-2008, 10:56 PM
Erm without seeing it I cant tell, but I'd imagine the earth could be taken from the Engine Hoist point, like a wee hoop that you fit an engine crane on.

rrv8
20-12-2008, 11:43 PM
Where is the earth point on in the engine bay.....haynes doesnt have it

Save hunting for it and to prove if it is a bad earth then connect a jump lead to the battery negative and the other end to a peice of bare metal in the engine bay , if it works then it is bad earth , if not check all the connections on the positive side

Sounds like a bad connection giving power loss when its needed

Atlantean
21-12-2008, 02:02 PM
AFAIR there are 3 earth straps - battery, gearbox and starter.

ThePimp
21-12-2008, 03:38 PM
Got it figured out this morning, alternator is fooked, so took it out there now, will get a replacement in the morning.

Cheers for all the help guys.

Dod
21-12-2008, 04:04 PM
You need to call Sean Carr in Ramelton. He refurbs them so might work out cheaper and handier. Want his number? You can tell him I sent you, he gets a lot of Rally Car parts off me.

noecre
29-12-2008, 01:04 AM
First check is to go for the battery(not just the voltage) and also wiring.Earth bare wire(rust underneath bolt) and wiring leading to the starter motor.If these are ok, try ticking the starter motor housing and also the solenoid with a soft copper hammer.Sometimes it will happen that soleniod machanism does'nt return to its original position preventing the starter motor to operate.Good luck :taz: