PDA

View Full Version : Coolant Leaks

zhangj5
28-07-2009, 12:02 AM
Hello everyone! Hope someone can help me about my car's Coolant Leaks problem.

I have a 03 Opel Vector 1.8, The coolant level drops every 4-5 weeks since timing belt was replaced in March at main dealer. I thought the problem is caused by water pump was not fitted properly, and went back to check it.
However, i was told the head gasket need to be changed and will cost euro 1500.

To be honest, i donot know should i trust them or not and 1500 is really to heavy.:(

And , car temperature is just under 90.

Any opinions? is it the right price? i know i have to fix it anyway, does anyone know a better garage which has more resonable price in Dublin?

Thanks!!!!

Atlantean
28-07-2009, 09:21 AM
1500 is too much if it's the head gasket!

Is there any vapor coming out of the exhaust pipe? What are the plugs like? Have you found what looks like Mayonnaise on the oil cap? All these are signs of head gasket failure!

zhangj5
28-07-2009, 09:34 AM
Thinks for your reply.
there is no vapor coming out from exhaust pipe , and oil cap is clean, temperature is normal.

Dod
28-07-2009, 10:11 AM
Your car is possibly at the very early stages of HG Failure, I've seen this before.

What happens is the Gasket fails from the outside inwards and so the coolant leaks out between the head and the block outwards as opposed to into the cylanders. Check around the head for signs of Rusted powdery looking areas as opposed to the normally dirty and greesey areas. If you cant find anything, examine the coolant hoses and the Rad for signs of leaks. Some small leaks may only show when the engine is hot and the water is presurised and so only leak occationally.

Another option is to see if the leak is coming from the Heater Matrix inside the car but since your car is relatively new, I'd doubt it.

As for €1500 for a replacement Head Gasket, you'll get a complete 2nd hand engine for a lot less than that.

garymanc
29-07-2009, 12:02 AM
try some k seal.... i have been told it works a treat,
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400063966323&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_RSC

Atlantean
29-07-2009, 12:48 AM
try some k seal....

I have never used the stuff so I don't know how it works but if I were going to put a sealer in then I would use Novastop - very good and does not block any vital parts!

Dod
29-07-2009, 10:05 AM
Head Gasket Repair? Has anyone used it? Sounds like a bit of a fairy tale to me.

Frisco
29-07-2009, 02:15 PM
I have never used the stuff so I don't know how it works but if I were going to put a sealer in then I would use Novastop - very good and does not block any vital parts!

That stuff is tripe and expensive tripe at that.

damoh
29-07-2009, 02:21 PM
Head Gasket Repair? Has anyone used it? Sounds like a bit of a fairy tale to me.

reminds me of the time my mate sucked up water in his integra and shot a piston throught the block the aa lad said try"wonder weld" to weld the block back:blink:

paddy138
29-07-2009, 03:47 PM
if you were to try it, novastop would be the best option, worth a try tough, not even 20euro for a bottle of it, might help the hg last a bit longer, but wont fix it

mamakevf
29-07-2009, 07:54 PM
'Bardahl Cooling system stop leak' is as good as novastop if not better, and half the price.

steely dan
29-07-2009, 08:32 PM
I'd second what Dod says . Check all the hoses and connections in and around engine bay and under dash if you can reach. Buy a roll of blue paper towel and use dab around all connections to see if the paper turns dark blue when wet.
Pay particular attention at base of timing cover to see if there is any sign of a leak after they had changed the timing belt as a new belt applies more tension than the old and if they didn't change the water pump, which they should have done due to the low extra cost, it could fail. I did happen to me on a X20XEV engine .
I personally would strongly advise you do NOT to use any additive/ sealer . I have used them ( on a Freelander ) and they are not permanent and can lead to other problems.
!500 euro seems a lot but not for a main dealer . I'd suggest that you seek out an alternative and you'll only get one by asking around , friends, family work colleagues .Do it right though and have the head checked for true .
Good luck.

steely dan
29-07-2009, 11:23 PM
Just tripped over this on an Omega website I use. It 's related to a HG failure ( ? ) on a 2.0 XEV engine and he posted his itemised bill from a non franchised garage in UK of course .

================================================== ========

HEADS BACK ON!!

woopee!

Just over two weeks at the workshop but now it's all back together . MOT passed today as well so driving it lovely now

Extent of work was:
New Oil Pressure Switch supplied & fitted
New Crank Sensor fitted then removed and correct one supplied & fitted (photos to be on here soon to show difference!)
Exhaust Manifold removed, skimmed as it had warped, then fitted with new studs, nuts, and gaskets.
Compression and leak tests done due to misfire that then started!
Head Gasket failed so Cylinder Head removed, skimmed, painted and refitted with new gaskets. Thankfully no cracks!
All valves lapped in, one replaced as it was bent.
Compression test with cams off done, showed further problem with one cylinder so-
Some hydraulic lifters replaced, a stem seal or two
General clean up and overhaul of tappets/whole top end it seems!
Various additives, fluids etc
New (s/h) Radiator fitted

think that's it.

including vat

came to

gonna make that motor earn it's keep now!

(specially as the MOT work/bits was separate and cost best part of 350 )
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

zhangj5
31-07-2009, 02:45 AM
just had a pressure test and spotted leaking, total cost 80 (leaking and 3 bulbs). Hope this is the end of the story.

Dod
31-07-2009, 09:53 AM
Where was it leaking from?

zhangj5
07-08-2009, 12:56 PM
from a nut under Engine, i think.

Fermanta
07-08-2009, 01:52 PM
Hello everyone! Hope someone can help me about my car's Coolant Leaks problem.

I have a 03 Opel Vector 1.8, The coolant level drops every 4-5 weeks since timing belt was replaced in March at main dealer. I thought the problem is caused by water pump was not fitted properly, and went back to check it.

To be honest, i donot know should i trust them or not and 1500 is really to heavy.:(

And , car temperature is just under 90.

Any opinions? is it the right price? i know i have to fix it anyway, does anyone know a better garage which has more resonable price in Dublin?

Thanks!!!!

just had a pressure test and spotted leaking, total cost 80 (leaking and 3 bulbs). Hope this is the end of the story.

And the original dealer was? :thumbdown: